Sunday, May 1, 2011

Great Is Thy Faithfulness


Proverbs 31: 
25 She is clothed with strength and dignity;
   she can laugh at the days to come.
26 She speaks with wisdom,
   and faithful instruction is on her tongue.

27 She watches over the affairs of her household
   and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
   her husband also, and he praises her:
29 “Many women do noble things,
   but you surpass them all.”
30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
   but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
31 Honor her for all that her hands have done,
   and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.


There is so much  more to remember about Mom...but here are a few things that have washed over me during the last few weeks.


Being dropped off at her house early before Mother went to work when I was little.
Summer days spent watching All the Rivers Run and Annie too many times to count.
Spending the night with her after Sunday night church.
Playing the piano in the fellowship hall.
Cleaning up after communion.
Listening to me scream at her and my brother in a fit of pre-teen angst.
Loving me well when I chose the World over the Way.
Cooking dinner for us all.the.time.
Watching Golden Girls and Empty Nest on Saturday nights.
Sharing a room with her when she first sold her house.
Watching her TV in her apartment over our garage while she cooked dinner.
Friday afternoon McDonald's ice cream.
Driving her across Texas. Multiple times. Thank the Lord for relaxing herbal remedies!
Spending time with her in the hospital when she broke her hip.
Her cooking was amazing.
Forcing her to drink water and exercise when she came home and laughing through it.
Laughing over Mexican Train dominoes. Are we playing colors or numbers?
Watching her pinch our cats' ears and pull their tails and never understanding why they didnt' like her.
Being supported financially by her for my first mission trip.


Watching her read her Bible every.single.day.
Knowing she prayed for me every day.

90th Birthday Party in 2004

Christmas 2008

Casey and Mom the weekend I got married

Christmas 2009

Mom & Casey at her 96th Birthday Party - November 2010

Clay and me with Mom - November 2010
Dad, Mom and Mother - November 2010

Mom and her kids - November 2010

Mom & Pop & Casey - Casey's first birthday?

Mom and Pop - I have no idea when, but I have always liked this picture.
Thank you God for blessing me with Mom. Thank you for giving Casey and me an extraordinary relationship with our grandmother that most people do not have. Thank you that she always pointed us to You and I praise you that we are only separated for a little while.


Postscript - Click here and find "Yvette Henderson" for her official obituary that I had the honor of helping pen.

No comments:

Post a Comment